BRIAN A. SATHER
2004 | Ph. D., Kinesiology 4.00 GPA
Texas Woman’s University, Denton, TX 76204 Emphasis: Administration of Physical Education
Related Area: Business Administration
2012 | M. B. A., Business 3.67 GPA
Eastern Oregon University, La Grande, OR 97850
1996 | M. S., Physical Education 3.67 GPA
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602
1999 | B. A., History Summa Cum Laude
Atlantic Union College, South Lancaster, MA 01561
1995 | B. S., Physical Education Magna Cum Laude
Walla Walla University, College Place, WA 99324
Certification: Secondary School Teaching for State of Washington
TEACHING & RELATED EXPERIENCE
2002-present | Professor, Physical Activity and Health
Division of Physical Activity and Health, Eastern Oregon University
Serving the university, researching, and teaching theory based classes for physical education and health majors both on-campus and online. Specializing in physical education pedagogy, sport ethics, administration, and coaching. Promoted to associate professor for 2007-08. Tenure earned Spring 2007. Promoted to professor for 2011-12. Appointed Chair of the Division of Physical Activity & Health, 2011-present.
2011-present | Owner and President
La Grande Ride, Inc.
Offering recreation, activity, and sport services to people in northeast Oregon. Actively maintaining the company website LaGrandeRide.com
2001-2002 | Head Women’s Basketball Coach
Knights Athletics, Southwestern Adventist University
Coaching women’s basketball at the NAIA Division I level. Includes planning and implementing practices, recruiting athletes, coordinating travel, and coaching during games.
1999-2002 | Department Chair, Assistant Professor
Physical Education & Wellness Department, Southwestern Adventist University
Performing administrative duties such as attending committee meetings, advising students, curriculum design, and coordinating contract instructors. Teaching courses for undergraduate physical education students including Professional Activities, Coaching, Kinesiology, Administration of Physical Education, History and Philosophy of Sport, Intermediate Basketball, Softball, Flag Football, and Senior Seminar.
1999-2002 | Athletic Director
Knights Athletics, Southwestern Adventist University
Administration of varsity and club sports at the NAIA Division I level. Includes game scheduling, event coordination, athlete discipline, personnel management, promotion, and financial management. Designing and maintaining web site.
1996-1999 | Assistant Professor of Physical Education
Physical Education Department, Atlantic Union College
Taught classes including Administration of PE, Fitness and Wellness, Sport and Human Experience, Biomechanics, Motor Learning, Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries, Cycling, Flagball, Soccer, Tennis, Basketball, and Golf. Advised students. Maintained web page with class notes and information.
1996-1999 | Facility Manager
Physical Education Department, Atlantic Union College
Staff supervision and hiring for department. Monitored usage and maintenance of facility. Enforced college and department rules.
1996-1999 | Intramural Coordinator
Physical Education Department, Atlantic Union College
Scheduled, promoted, refereed, and supervised all intramural activities.
1996-1998 | Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Athletics, Atlantic Union College
Coached, managed finances, coordinated transportation, and set up for games.
1995-1996 | Graduate Teaching Assistant
Physical Education Department, Brigham Young University
Instructed and organized activity classes including Basketball, Volleyball, Golf, Soccer, and Elementary PE.
1995 | Student Teacher
Physical Education, Gem State Adventist Academy
Performed full duties of physical education teacher including teaching PE and health classes, supervising student workers, coordinating intramurals, and other student supervision duties.
1995 | Lady Wolves Assistant Basketball Coach
Varsity Athletics, Walla Walla College
Ran drills, planned strategy, and developed athletes' skills.
1993-1994 | Intramural Assistant
Intramurals, Walla Walla College
Included organizing, scheduling, supervising, and officiating flag football, basketball, floor hockey, volleyball, and softball.
1991-1992 | Assistant Athletic Trainer
Pioneers Athletic Program, Columbia Union College
Provided first aid and rehabilitation of injured varsity athletes.
- PEAC 121 Flag Football | Southwestern Adventist U. 2001
- PES 131 Foundations of Physical Activity & Health | Eastern Oregon University 2005-current
- PEAC 130 Baseball/Softball | Southwestern Adventist U. 2002
- PEAC 142 Tennis | Atlantic Union College 1996-1998 | Southwestern Adventist U. 1999-2000
- PEAC 143 Beginning Tumbling | Atlantic Union College 1998
- PEAC 165 Golf | Atlantic Union College 1999
- PEAC 171 Cycling | Atlantic Union College 1998
- PEAC 180 Basketball | Atlantic Union College 1997-1999
- PEAC 183 Flag Football | Atlantic Union College 1997
- PEAC 185 Soccer | Atlantic Union College 1997
- PES 199 Advanced Fitness and Performance Training | Eastern Oregon University 2009
- PEAC 221 Flag Football Teaching & Officiating | Southwestern Adventist U. 2001
- PEAC 230 Baseball/Softball Teaching & Officiating | Southwestern Adventist U. 2002
- PEAC 267 Track & Field | Atlantic Union College 1997
- PEAC 342 Intermediate Tennis | Southwestern Adventist U. 2000
- PEAC 351 Intermediate Basketball | Southwestern Adventist U. 2000
- PETH 225 Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries | Atlantic Union College 1998
- PETH 231 Professional Activities I | Southwestern Adventist U. 1999-2000
- PETH 232 Professional Activities II | Southwestern Adventist U. 2000-2001
- PEH 250 Personal Skills for Healthy Living | Eastern Oregon University 2002-2004
- PES 270 History & Philosophy of Sport | Southwestern Adventist U. 2001 | Eastern Oregon University 2002-current
- PETH 265 Sport and Human Experience | Atlantic Union College 1996-1999
- PES 294 Teaching Team Sports | Eastern Oregon University 2002-current
- HWS 298 Health/Fitness for Life | Atlantic Union College 1996-1999 | Eastern Oregon University 2002-current
- EXS 311 Sport Psychology | Eastern Oregon University 2002-current
- HWS 320 Healthy Activities and Games for Youth | Eastern Oregon University 2005-current
- PETH 331 Kinesiology | Southwestern Adventist U. 2000
- PETH 344 Motor Learning | Atlantic Union College 1998
- PETH 346 Biomechanics | Atlantic Union College 1998
- PETH 351 Coaching | Southwestern Adventist U. 1999-2000
- PES 364 Scientific Basis for Coaching Youth Sport | Eastern Oregon University 2004-current
- PES 394 Teaching Games, Dance, & Gymnastics | Eastern Oregon University 2002-current
- PES 470 Sport Management | Atlantic Union College 1997-1999 | Southwestern Adventist U. 1999-2002 | Eastern Oregon University 2002-current
- PETH 490 Senior Seminar | Southwestern Adventist U. 2000-2002
- PES 494 Teaching Individual Sports | Eastern Oregon University 2002-current
- PES 507 Sport Sociology | Eastern Oregon University 2004
- PES 507 Administration of Sport & PE | Eastern Oregon University 2004
- PES 574, 575, 576 PE/Health Methods | Eastern Oregon University 2011-current
Reviewer & Journal Work
2012-present Associate Editor of Technical Production, Journal of Kinesiology & Wellness ( www.wskw.org/publications ). Developer, editor, and consultant for this online-based, peer-reviewed journal of the Western Society of Kinesiology & Wellness. As president of WSKW in 2011, I proposed and gained approval for the launch of this new journal, and later built the technical infrastructure to house the journal. After working closely with the editor throughout the year, the journal's first issue was published in October of 2012.
2010 Reviewer of and coordinator for proposals for presentations at the annual convention of the Western Society for Kinesiology & Wellness (WSKW).
2009 Reviewer of proposals for presentations at the annual convention of the Western Society for Kinesiology & Wellness (WSKW).
2009 Advisement on content for a mountain bike chapter of a new teaching outdoor recreation book, Human Kinetics.
2008-2009 Reviewer of manuscripts, Journal of Adventist Education.
2006-2007 Reviewer of textbook manuscript for Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins Publishers. Now published as Ethics of Sport and Athletics by Arthur Schneider
2006 June Reviewer of textbook manuscript for Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann, Publishers for sport violence.
2005 Dec Reviewer of textbook manuscript for Halcomb Hathaway, Publishers for Diversity in Sport Organizations, by George B. Cunningham
2005-2006 Reviewer of abstracts for Research Consortium poster sessions and awards for 2006 AAHPERD National Convention and Exposition.
PROFESSIONAL RECOGNITION & SERVICE
2011 :: Received partial award, EOU Faculty Scholar Program. Project: "Functional Improvements of PEvideo.org and Development of PEbiography.com."
2010 :: Received summer grant from EOU for class redesign to meet university Difference, Power, & Discrimination (DPD) requirements
2010 :: Groups in 2 classes respectively won finalist awards for the NASPE/Polar USA Video Contest.
2009 :: Received full award, EOU Faculty Scholar Program. Project: “Content Management System Development for Physical Education.”
2008 :: Received full award, EOU Faculty Scholar Program. Project: “Phase 2: Sport Skill Video Recording & Production.”
2005 :: Dr. G. Arthur Broten Young Scholars Award for 2005. Western Society for Kinesiology and Wellness.
2005 :: Received full award, EOU Faculty Scholar Program. Project: “Sport Skill Video Recording and Production for Physical Educators.”
2005 :: Awarded EOU Scholarship of Assessment Grant. Proposal title: “Pilot Techniques for Evaluation of Teaching Effectiveness.”
Professional Organization Positions
2012-present :: Advisor to the Board, Wallowa Avalanche Center.
2012 March :: Conference Planner, SDA-HPERA Annual Convention, South Lancaster, MA. Theme: "A Retrospective and Introspective on Sports in Seventh-day Adventist Schools." http://sdahpera.org/page/7325
2012 January :: Conference Planner, Silver Falls convention for Oregon physical education teachers in higher education
2011-present :: Communications Director, Western Society for Kinesiology & Wellness. Reponsible for website administration, communication, and other media services including the organization of the review process and information management of the Journal of Kinesiology & Wellness.
2011-2012 :: President, Seventh-day Adventist Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Association (SDA-HPERA).
2010-2011 :: President, Western Society for Kinesiology & Wellness (WSKW). Began the Journal of Kinesiology & Wellness, voted and approved at the conference.
2010 :: President-elect, Seventh-day Adventist Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Association (SDA-HPERA)
2009 :: President-elect, Western Society for Kinesiology & Wellness (WSKW). Planner for 2010 WSKW Annual Conference in Reno.
2006-present :: Central Committee representative for Oregon, Western Society for Kinesiology & Wellness (WSKW).
2005-2008 :: Treasurer Oregon Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (OAHPERD).
2006-2008 :: Appointed web administrator ( http://www.nakpehe.org ) and member of Technology Committee for the National Association for Kinesiology and Physical Education in Higher Education (NAKPEHE).
2006-2008 :: Service on “Future Directions Committee” for Research Consortium of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD).
2005-2006 :: Service on “Committee on Awards” for Research Consortium of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD).
2000-2003 :: Listserv administrator for Seventh-day Adventist physical educators and coaches email list.
1999 2002 :: Moderator of the “Physical Education/Athletics” section of the Adventist Education Forum online at http://edforum.adventist.org/
2013 :: AIARE Level 2 Analyzing Snow Stability and Avalanche Hazard certified.
2012 :: FCC Level 1 Technician Class License for Ham Radio
2012 :: AIARE Level 1 Decision Making in Avalanche Terrain certified. Also attended AIARE Avalanche Awareness Presentation, Jan. 19, 2012, La Grande, Oregon.
2011-current :: AQx Sports Approved Instructor
2007-current :: National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Fundamentals of Coaching instructor certification.
2004-current :: American Sport Education Program (ASEP) bronze level instructor certification.
Memberships & Conventions
2012 July :: Attended OUS Department Chair's Workshop, Portland, OR.
2005-present :: Member of Western Society of Kinesiology & Wellness. Attended conventions in Reno, NV (2005-2006, 2008-present).
2004-present :: Participated in Silver Falls convention for Oregon physical education teachers in higher education.
2009-10 :: Member of Teachers Without Borders, a professional network of teachers.
2006-2009 :: Member of National Association of Kinesiology and Physical Education in Higher Education (NAKPEHE). Attended conventions in St. Petersburg, FL (2007); and Albuquerque, NM (2008).
2002-2008 :: Member of Oregon Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (OAHPERD). Attended conventions in Corvallis, OR (2002); Sherwood, OR (2003 & 2004); and Salem, OR (2007).
2005-2007 :: Member of Research Consortium, of American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (AAHPERD).
1999-2000 :: Member of Phi Alpha Theta, national history honors society, Atlantic Union College.
1995-2012 :: Member of American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (AAHPERD). Attended national conventions in St. Louis, MO (1997); Reno, NV (1998); Boston, MA (1999); Orlando, FL (2000); Cincinnati, OH (2001); San Diego, CA (2002); Chicago (2004); Salt Lake City, UT (2005); and San Diego, CA (2011).
1995-2005 :: Member of Seventh-day Adventist Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Association (SDA HPERA). Association secretary in 2001-02.
Internet Community Contributions
2005-present :: Owner of several domains and online projects. See a full list at http://BrianSather.com/content/my-domains
2007-present :: Active contributor to Drupal community of website developers. www.drupal.org
2007-present :: Contributing editor to Wikipedia including the following. www.wikipedia.org
2013 Feb :: Race Director, Randonee Race of Eastern Oregon Backcountry Festival, Anthony Lakes, Haines, Oregon.
2012 July :: Race Director, XTERRA La Grande Offroad Triathlon.
2012 :: Awarded EOU Technology Grant: Timing Chip System. Purchased IPICO timing system lite reader (2), chips, and software for race management.
2011-present :: As Chair of Division of Physical Acivity and Health, added 1 full-time fixed term instructional position (Fall 2011), added 2 additional tenure-track position of health professor (Fall 2012 & Fall 2013), added new outdoor recreation classes and maintained ongoing collaboration with EOU Outdoor Program, proposed and approved a new class HWS198, spearheaded and EOU internship collaboration with Wallowa Avalanche Center.
2010-present :: Spearheaded the attainment of a new graduate assistant position for the division of physical activity & health at Eastern Oregon University. Coordinated the graduated student's work responsibilities.
2009-2010 :: Prompted and provided advisement for replacement of equipment in the fitness center at Eastern Oregon University.
2007-present :: Initiated and managed the inception of Oregon Trail Racing as regional cycling team for Northeast Oregon.
2009 :: Completed Ashford University adjunct faculty orientation.
2008 :: Supervised student Zachary Heath's successful Technology Fee Grant: Biofeedback Devices for Aerobic Performance Training: GPS, Heart Rate, and Lactate Analysis.
2007 :: Awarded EOU Technology Fee Grant: Dartfish Human Performance Analysis System. Purchased licenses for Dartfish software, Basler high speed video camera, and underwater camera.
2002-2004 :: Distance Learning Faculty Specialist. Overseeing the distance education physical education offerings. Coordinated and personally developed classes needed to offer a unique physical education bachelor’s degree entirely through distance education. Eastern Oregon University.
2002 :: Designed and oversaw remodeling of a new weight room. Southwestern Adventist University.
2001 :: Initiated and guided the widening of the soccer field. Southwestern Adventist University.
2001 :: Organized and directed the 2000 Seventh-day Adventist Hoops Classic college basketball tournament. Southwestern Adventist University.
2001 :: Accepted Red River Athletic Conference Women’s Sportsmanship Award for athletic program. Southwestern Adventist University.
2001 :: Requested and oversaw the construction of a new office and new classroom in the gymnasium. Southwestern Adventist University.
2001 :: Increased media exposure by publishing articles in local newspapers Keene Star and Cleburne Times-Review. Southwestern Adventist University.
2001 :: Added a Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Science. Southwestern Adventist University.
2000 :: Accepted Red River Athletic Conference Athlete Grade Point Average Award for an athletic program that maintained the highest grades in the conference. Southwestern Adventist University.
2000 :: Successfully proposed an addition of a full-time faculty member to the department. Supervised the search and hire of a qualified new faculty. Southwestern Adventist University.
1999 :: Appealed an NAIA suspension ruling enforced on the athletic program as a result of violations by a previous administration. The NAIA accepted the appeal and reduced the penalty from 2 years to 1 year. Southwestern Adventist University.
1997 :: Implemented a computer based scan system to monitor usage of the recreation facility. Atlantic Union College.
2013 :: Chair, search committee for tenure track position in Health, Eastern Oregon University.
2012-present :: Chair, College Personnel Committee, Eastern Oregon University
2012 :: Member, search committee for tenure track position in Health, Eastern Oregon University.
2011-2012 :: Member, College Personnel Committee , Eastern Oregon University
2012-present :: Member, Information Technology Advisory Taskforce (ITAT) , Eastern Oregon University
2011-2012 :: Member, Education Policy and Curriculum Committee , Eastern Oregon University
2012 Mar-Apr :: Search Committee, Tenure Track Position in Health, Div. of Physical Activity & Health, Eastern Oregon University.
2010-2012 :: Member, Athletic Council, Eastern Oregon University
2007-2009 :: Member, Faculty Personnel Committee, Eastern Oregon University.
2007-2009 :: Chair, Technology Grant Committee, Eastern Oregon University.
2006-2009 :: Member, Technology Grant Committee, Eastern Oregon University.
2007-2008 :: Member, College Personnel Committee, Eastern Oregon University.
2004-2005 :: Chair, Academic Standards Committee, Eastern Oregon University.
2004-2006 :: Assembly Athletic Committee, Eastern Oregon University
2004-2005 :: PEH grant committee, Eastern Oregon University.
2004 :: PEH representative for Advisors Council.
2004-2005 :: Served on various search committees for new faculty: tenure-track position for physical education and health, Director of Instructional Support/Design.
2003-2004 :: Academic Standards Committee, Eastern Oregon University.
2001-2002 :: Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning Committee, Eastern Oregon University.
2001-2002 :: Athletic Council Chair, Southwestern Adventist University.
2000 2002 :: Discipline Committee, Southwestern Adventist University.
2000 2002 :: Student Life Committee, Southwestern Adventist University.
1999 2002 :: Academic Policies Committee, Southwestern Adventist University.
1999 2002 :: Athletic Council, Southwestern Adventist University.
1997 1998 :: General Studies Committee, Atlantic Union College.
2012 Apr-June :: Track & field day preparation and volunteer service (along with EOU students), Central Elementary School, La Grande, Oregon.
2012 Apr-May :: Physical Education II class volunteer service for individual sports teaching (along with EOU students), La Grande High School, La Grande, Oregon.
2011 Nov :: Special taskforce for a new minor in Div. of Physical Activity & Health, Eastern Oregon University.
2011 Oct :: Mountain bike clinic leader for Outdoor Program, Eastern Oregon University.
2011 Sept :: Presentation about online platform use in classes, Summer Institute, Eastern Oregon University.
2011 May :: Assisted Division of Physical Activiting & Health in hosting AQx Aqua Training Demonstration by Eastern Oregon University, May 20-21, 2011.
2006 Nov :: Volunteer for cross country regional qualifier meet hosted by Eastern Oregon University, May 2007.
2006 Sept :: Leader for EasTrek Biking La Grande, Eastern Oregon University Welcome Week, Sept 2006
2003-2006 :: Physical Education and Health major’s club.
2002-2003 :: Distance Learning Faculty Specialist (DLFS) for Division of Distance Education, Eastern Oregon University.
- Invited presentation on youth baseball coaching recommendations to Union County Little League, March 20, 2013, La Grande, Oregon.
- Volunteer Eastern Oregon Backcountry Festival, February 2013, Anthony Lakes, Haines, Oregon.
- Snow and avalanche observations, 2012-present, Wallowa Avalanche Center, Joseph, Oregon.
- Volunteer timing assistance, High School Cross Country Meet, Oct. 27, 2012, La Grande, Oregon.
- Organizer and race director, Offroad Duathlon Training Series (3 races), June-July 2012, La Grande, Oregon.
- Trail building and maintenance, MERA Owsley Canyon Trailhead, XTERRA La Grande Course, May-July 2012, La Grande, Oregon.
- "Bicycle Safety" presentations at Spring Safety Fair for Union County elementary schools, April 25, 2012. La Grande, Oregon.
- Submitted support letter for RTP grant by Union County for Mount Emily Recreation Area (MERA) support.
- Proposal to Mount Emily Recreation Area (MERA) non-motorized board for building BMX dirt freeride park, 2011-12.
- Race Director, XTERRA La Grande Offroad Triathlon, 2011-present.
- Cycling and swimming educational clinics and videos in La Grande, 2011.
- Trail building at Mount Emily Recreation Area (MERA), 2011.
- Coordinated volunteer teaching experiences for students at elementary, middle, and high schools, La Grande, Oregon, 2010-2011.
- Promoting and helping organize The Werst Race, La Grande, Oregon, 2007-2009.
- Team Director, Oregon Trail Racing. Cycling and triathlon team. Includes activities such as organizing local clinics, holding team meetings, race coordination, financial management, 2007-present.
- Assisted in website management for Solstice Triathlon, 2007-2008.
- Volunteer help and participant in 3 Rivers Race charity event, La Grande, Oregon, June 2007. Also participant 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012.
- Volunteer help and participant in The Werst Race charity event, La Grande, Oregon, May 2007.
- Volunteer for District Swim Meet hosted by La Grande High School, Feb 2007.
- Race promotion and event timing for Goodall/Wilde/Manwell Race and Run for Health, Sept 2006.
- Member Blue Mountain Singletrack Trail Club , 2006-2008.
- Created map, promoted, and participated in 3 Rivers Relay, June 2006.
- Race volunteer and created map for Pumpkin Ridge Half-Marathon, Imbler, May 2006.
- Race volunteer Banana Belt Series, Forest Grove, Oregon, March 2006.
- Member Lactic Acid Cycling Club, Boise, Idaho, 2006-2007.
- Organizer Foothill Time Trial Bicycle Races, 2005-2008.
- Incorporated TAG children in physical education classes, Winter 2003.
- Students in PEH394 helped teach special needs students from La Grande, Spring 2004
- Utilized various guest lectures in the community: Dr. Winters (naturopathic physician), Kevin Marsh (acupuncturist), (self-defense specialist from shelter from the storm), Beckie (Bekie’s studio of dance). 2003-present.
- Bicycle racing and group rides throughout the region.
- Published book and promoted cycling through websites and Mountain Biking La Grande, Oregon.
- Websites available and described in Scholarship Section
High level of proficiency in the following:
- IPICO Race Timing System and Race Director software
- Digital video editing: Adobe Premiere, Dartfish. Fully versed in editing, conversion, and sharing of video online.
- Image editing: Adobe Photoshop
- Website developing & management: Content Management Systems (Drupal, Wordpress, Moodle), Microsoft Frontpage, Macromedia Dreamweaver, owner of several domain names related to physical activity and sports.
- Biomechanical analysis software: PEAK system, Dartfish.
- Performance testing: Skinfold, VO2max, bicycle wattage, standardized strength and cardiovascular fitness tests.
- Cycling: Rider position analysis, performance testing.
- All standard computer applications: Word, Excel, Wordperfect, OpenOffice
- Creating and editing Adobe Acrobat files and forms.
- Specialty sport skills: road and mountain bicycling, alpine touring, basketball, backpacking, golf. Category 2 (USA Cycling & OBRA) racer. Triathlete and member of USAT. Proficiency in bicycle maintenance and repair.
- Global Position Systems and mapping software applications: Google Earth, Gamin Connect, Garmin Training Center, Garmin Mapsource.
- Online Teaching: Drupal, Moodle, Blackboard, online gradebook software, webcam, chat applications.